One of my favorite things about the dawn of a new year is the way in which we look with optimism toward the improvement of self. I stopped making New Year's resolution lists when I realized that they served little purpose other than to fuel my dissatisfaction with anything I tried. So instead of making lists, I've started picking out a single word, such as an action verb or adjective, that serves as a daily inspiration.
I try to accomplish or incorporate the meaning of the word into my life each day. For instance, one year I chose the word "wonder", and endeavored to spend time in awe of beauty, life, and little things. I thought about it for a while, and decided that this year's word will be "overflow". I want to go above and beyond in everything I do. I want to pour myself into my work. I want the good things God has done to fill my heart and run over into the lives of others. I want to live deeply, below the surface. I want to share all the joy and love that's overflowing in my heart. Growing closer to people, creating beautiful things, finding truth, discovering.

"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit." - Romans 15:13

Happy Holidays!