Sweet Potato Fries

The photograph above depicts one of my favorite places - a corner in the kitchen by the window. When I have been home this summer, I've indulged in cooking meals and experimenting with recipes. There are few things as delightful as walking out back to my garden, picking the herbs needed for a dish, and making something to fill the kitchen with irresistible aromas. I haven't written a food post in quite some time, so today I'd like to share one of my favorite summer recipes: crispy sweet potato fries!

I'm a big proponent of simple, healthy, well-spiced meals, and last year, my family discovered a fabulous recipe for sweet potato fries. I personally think this is more a ratatouille dish than french fries, but the name doesn't matter terribly. Whenever I crave a light midday meal, or something quick for a picnic, I prepare this dish. It is delicious and gourmet without being expensive or complicated. 

Ingredients:
5 large sweet potatoes
1/3 cup virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon rosemary leaves (or according to preference)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 large onion

Preheat oven at 350° fahrenheit, and oil 2 baking pans well with olive oil. 
Wash and peel the sweet potatoes, and cut them into slivers (see photo above). 
Peel the onion and slice it into slivers (about 2 inches long, 1/2 inch wide).
Sprinkle potato and onion slices with rosemary, salt, pepper, and olive oil. Using hands, toss vegetables in the oil/spice mixture until well covered in oil/spices. 
Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until slightly toasted. Gently toss vegetables every 10 minutes to ensure that all layers are exposed to heat evenly. When finished, the vegetables should be slightly browned at the edges, with just a hint of crunchiness. It is easy to over-toast, so be sure to turn the vegetables every 10 minutes. 

Note: Home-grown spices are always preferable, as they are superior in flavor and healthiness, but fresh herbs can be found in the salad section of most groceries. 

There is beauty in simplicity, in cherishing moments. For me, preparing food is a way to invest love into something I must do every day. Turning the mundane into the magnificent...isn't that what the heart opens up to? Make dining a delightful experience even on the most ordinary day by using all your senses and enjoying the moment. Open your window to let some fresh air in. Choose your favorite china to eat in, and maybe even light a candle.